Match Report – Bray Wanderers 2 Treaty United 1
Athlone Town 2 Bray Wanderers 1 
First Division, 10 May 2024 
In a clash between the two in-form clubs in the SSE Airtricity Men’s First Division, Bray came out on the wrong side of a 2-1 defeat. The Seagulls conceded two carbon copy goals to Athlone at the start of each half on Friday evening at Lissywollen. Despite a late rally, the away team were unable to find an equaliser after goalkeeper Stephen McGuinness saved a ‘Town penalty. From the team who’d defeated Finn Harps 1-0 last Monday at the Carlisle Grounds, the same starting 11 was retained by Head Coach Ian Ryan. On the bench, Josh McGlone came in amongst the substitutes. 
But it was the Westmeath side who hit the front after just four minutes. Jamar Campion-Hinds clipped a ball in from the right wing left footed. Dean Ebbe got in behind the away defence in the penalty area and steered a header on the run up and over the on-rushing Stephen McGuinness to an empty net. 
The Green and White’s went close to restoring parity in the 26th minute. Fed by Shane Griffin, Cristian Magerusan burst between two defenders in the box only his see his 15-yard goal bound drive turned away by Enda Minogue’s diving save. A sweeping moved along the right wing saw Freddie Turley hang up a cross. But Griffin’s looping header found the top of the roof netting. 
Just like the opening period, the Midlanders struck again early after the restart. After a 55th minute corner was cleared and Bray tried to counter-attack, Jarlath Jones dinked a ball over the top. With no offside flag forthcoming, Eddie again lobbed the advancing McGuinness from the edge of the box to an open goal. Three minutes later though, Griffin charged down Minogue’s attempted clearance on the edge of the home box. But the custodian recovered to block the attackers follow up with a diving save. Bray were rewarded for their endeavours in the 62nd minute. Griffin’s corner was met by Jamie Duggan’s header back across goal. The ball dropped to Paul Murphy who lashed to the net at the near post from six yards. Then in the 64th minute, Griffin’s free came to Harry Groome who teed up Magerusan. From 22-yards out, the striker’s curling effort came back off the top of the crossbar. 
Athlone were awarded a 74th minute penalty when Paul Murphy was adjudged by referee Marc Lunch to have held back Carl Mujaguzi. But McGuinness pulled off a brilliant save to divert the ball over the bat with his legs to deny Ebbe his hat-trick. Wanderers hit back with Magerusan heading into the side netting off Griffin’s 78th minute free kick. 
Athlone Town: Enda Minogue; Amardo Akeem Oakley, Dylan Hand, Jarlath Jones, Brian Torre; Daniel McKenna; Ruben Manuel Oliveria Ferreira (Shane Forbes 72), Carl Mujaguzi (Oisin Duffy 90 + 1), Matthew Lea, Jamar Campion-Hinds (Jamal Ibrahim 53); Dean Ebbe. 
Subs not used: Gabriel Padilla, Divine Izekor, Gideon Tetteh, Roscoe Rubinstein, Ciaran Nolan, Andrew Stuart Trainor. 
Booked: Ibrahim 90 + 4. 
Bray Wanderers: Stephen McGuinness; Max Murphy, Jamie Duggan, Paul Murphy, Evan Osam (Zach Nolan 68); Darren Craven (Guillermo Almirall half time), Harry Groome; Freddie Turley, Shane Griffin, Kieran Cruise (Thomas Morgan 83); Cristian Magerusan. 
Subs not used: Zayd Abada Conor Knight, Josh McGlone, Ben Clark. 
Referee: Marc Lynch (Galway). 
Pictures: Peter Minogue 
Bray Wanderers 2 Treaty United 1
Bray Wanderers 2 Treaty United 1
Bray Wanderers 2 Treaty United 1
Tagged as: Senior Team
Share this post:
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings